November is nobody’s favorite month–unless you’re in Costa Rica. Here, November is the most beautiful month of the year! It’s green, not too hot, and the rain is usually over, so… of course it’s a family favorite destination for Thanksgiving!
You have two things to get sorted out about a Costa RicaThanksgiving in Tamarindo: what to do about the meal, and what to do with the day.
We have three great ideas for you about how to come up with a Tamarindo Thanksgiving dinner for your family and friends.
- You can cook it yourself in your Tamarindo vacation rental, hire a chef to cook it for you in your vacation rental or make reservations at one of our Tamarindo restaurants.
Photo credit: rawpixel
Auto Mercado is the American-style grocery store just on the outskirts of Tamarindo, and guess what. They carry frozen turkeys. You’ll pay more for a turkey here in Costa Rica than what you would in the US, but remember that Thanksgiving isn’t a Costa Rican holiday, nor are turkeys something that Costa Ricans traditionally eat. Run out there and get one right away if you like baking these birds because there are lots of Thanksgiving dinners being made in Tamarindo and only one place to buy a turkey. You can buy all the other Thanksgiving dinner ingredients there as well: potatoes, vegetables, bread for stuffing, bouillon cubes, yams, pumpkin for the pies, Crisco for the crusts, and whipped cream for the top. Hurry up, though. There’s going to be a run on celery and prepared pie crusts any minute.
2. Private chefs are the ideal way to get the most out of your Tamarindo Thanksgiving. Spend the day enjoying your family and your Tamarindo Vacation rental while your chef prepares you a meal to enjoy in the comfort and privacy of your home. Let someone else take care of the planning, the shopping, the cooking, the serving and the clean-up while you take care of the relaxation.
3. The third option you have for Thanksgiving in Tamarindo is to enjoy a meal at one of our restaurants. The favorite, by far, is Pangas Beach Club. Pangas Beach Club, sitting alongside the peaceful beauty of the estuary right on the sand of Tamarindo beach, is cooking up the best Thanksgiving dinner in town. It starts out with a salad bar, moves along to squash soup and then the full meal: turkey baked in a Guanacaste-style outdoor oven, stuffing, gravy, almond green beans, mashed potatoes, and mashed sweet potatoes. Dessert, of course, follows. Pumpkin pie or pecan pie–you decide.
So there you go. One of these options will solve the riddle about where dinner is coming from.
If you choose not to do the cooking yourself, the next question is what to do with the rest of the day. Chances are, it’s going to be gorgeous. Top three choices are:
- Spend the day at the beach. Surf, swim, take a beach walk and feel thankful for a warm day in a sunny place.
- Enjoy the amenities of your luxury Tamarindo vacation rental like the pool, the a/c, the comfy couches and the oversized flat screen tv. Do nothing–you’re on vacation.
3. Do something unforgettable that you and your family will remember for years to come. How about the thrill of a zip-line on Thanksgiving day? Go kayaking up the estuary with a knowledgeable local guide. Thanksgiving is not a holiday in Costa Rica, so everything is open–no worries about that. Have you booked a surf lesson yet? That would be a way to make sure this Thanksgiving day is one nobody in your family will ever forget.
Vacation Rentals of Tamarindo has the connections you need to make your tropical Thanksgiving fantastic. We still have a few last minute rental options open, so contact us if you’re looking for a place to stay. If you’ve got accommodations sorted out already, but need to make dinner or activity plans, let us help you. We can get you a chef, a reservation at Pangas, and a day of Thanksgiving adventures–but hurry!